Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Love of Gelato


Gelato, oh how I love you so! You're so light, creamy, and full of flavor. Why did you wait so long to come into my life?

For those of you who may not know, gelato is Italy's version of ice cream. I will emphasize, however, that it is not ice cream. There are some significant differences between the two.

For the health- or diet-conscious, gelato typically contains half the amount of butterfat as ice cream, which can lead one to assume it has less saturated fat than ice cream. However, the flavor is still intense due to less air being whipped into gelato versus its counterpart. This makes gelato denser, but more flavorful, than a similar sized scoop of ice cream.

I first fell in love with gelato during a backpacking trip through western Europe a few years ago. After walking around in the sweltering 95-degree heat all day, I was looking for anything that would cool me down! Gelato was the answer.




There was this small gelato shop near the Vatican that had lines out the door (always a good sign, right?). I waited patiently in line for what would end up being the best gelato I would have during the entire month I was in Europe. I can still picture it now: three giant scoops of freshly made gelato nestled in a freshly made waffle cone, topped with whipped cream. It was amazing. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it. I fell madly in love with gelato at that moment. If you're ever in Rome, make sure to stop by Old Bridge Gelateria. You won't regret it! I've recommended a few friends to go there and they loved it too!

With gelato on my mind, I've decided on my first food experiment of Little Wooden Chef. I'll be making a Toasted Sesame and Honey Gelato. Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo