Friday, November 30, 2012

Dreaming of Parisian Macarons

Parisian Macarons - Little Wooden ChefParisian Macarons - Little Wooden Chef

Lately, I've become obsessed with Parisian Macarons - those delicate, light, fluffy cookies made only the more visually appealing by its beautiful colors and simple composition. I don't know what spurred on this sudden urge to try making macarons, but it's stayed with me this entire week. I've even gone as far as to buy a food processor, a food scale, and some piping bags to prepare myself for this culinary adventure!

As a plus, for those who follow a gluten-free diet, macarons are naturally made using almond flour, which are simply blanched, finely ground almonds. No gluten in these recipes! I didn't even know almond flour existed until this past week, but apparently it can be used in all sorts of desserts in lieu of normal flour. I don't follow a gluten-free diet, but it still sounds delicious to me! I love almonds.

Apparently, macarons are really difficult to master. You need to mix it just so, fold it just so, bake it just so, and a mistake in any step of the process will cause the macarons to not rise properly and form the delicate "feet" at the base of the cookie.

This will be an interesting experiment in the kitchen! I'm excited though, and hopefully they turn out well enough to gift as holiday presents! Wouldn't that be beautiful? A few colorful macarons stacked inside a plastic gift bag, tied up by a bright ribbon and accentuated by a beautiful holiday-themed gift tag.

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo