Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Early Present: Shun Chef's Knife!



One of my biggest annoyances of cooking for the past few years has been that my knife is absolutely horrible, and dulls quickly. I replaced my old knife two years ago and got a Calphalon knife that was great when it was new. After many months of use, it started to dull and I bought a sharpening steel for it. It helped slightly, but not enough to stop my frustration.

A few days ago, I spotted a Gold Box "Lightning Deal" on Amazon.com for a 7" Shun Classic Chef's Knife. My eyes lit up!
I've been looking for a deal on a Shun or Wusthof knife a while, and the timing couldn't be any better with the start of my Little Wooden Chef blog! The size is perfect for my smaller hands, and a steal at a price of $70 versus normal list price of $120+! One of my hobbies is to find great deals on almost everything I buy, as anyone reading my Little Cheap Girl blog will soon discover. People often ask me how I find all of these deals and, well, let's just say that I've spent many hours combing the web for the best deals and have learned a few tricks along the way!

I got an email yesterday saying that my beautiful new knife is on its way to my house. A few days ago, I also bought a new set of steak knives to replace my rusting set of $3 Ikea steak knives. I'm hoping the chef's knife along with the new steak knife makes my cooking experience more enjoyable. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to cut through a tomato and squishing half the juice out of the tomato before the knife even penetrates the skin. Or trying to slice meat and having to saw for five seconds to cut through the muscle.

People always say that a good knife will last a lifetime. I hope they're right!

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo